Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Ross Poldark: A Novel of Cornwall, 1783-1787

I will be the first to admit that when it comes to television I tend to live under a rock.  But books…now that’s another story altogether.  So where have I been since 1945 when Winston Graham penned Ross Poldark:  A Novel of Cornwall, 1783-1787?  Not yet born for some of those years, granted.  But what is my excuse for the decades that followed?  And even though I have never been a big fan of TV, the exception has always been the fabulous offerings of PBS, especially via BBC productions.  I learned that the books had been produced for television back in the 1970s, like Upstairs Downstairs.  It was a big hit.  And yet…crickets chirping.

So when I heard, in a very casual way, that there was a new series coming to PBS in a few weeks called Poldark based on a series of books that have been around for quite some time, I did a little internet surfing.  What I read did not particularly grab me:  Ross Poldark, a British Army officer returns to Cornwall after having fought for the Crown in the Revolutionary War only to find his fiancé betrothed to his cousin and his family estate in ruins.  “Oh.  A romance novel,” I yawned deflated.  Not exactly my cup of gin.  Like a cherry on the top, the cover of the newly released book was even less appealing.  I would not have been surprised to find Fabio on the cover.  But I have great faith in the BBC and PBS.  “So, where’s the trust?” I asked myself.  The old adage is true:  one really can’t judge a book by its cover.  Or its blurbs.

I found a site that offered a sampling.  I just love samples, don’t you?  Yes, I do find them hard to pass up.  Be it cheese cubes, tortilla chips, warm pralines, shrimp on a toothpick, it doesn’t seem to matter.  Thinking “just a nibble,” I began with the prologue (yum) and read through the first chapter of the first volume (of which there are apparently 12).  It was over all too soon.  And as is the purpose of all good samples, when the “taste” was over I wanted more.  I was hooked and thrown into the boat.

My plan was to run over to my favorite bookstore at lunch and grab a copy today. (oh joy)  But a quick phone call confirmed they did not have it in stock.  (oh groan)  But since the order for today had not gone out (I called as soon as they opened), I could possibly have it in my mitts by Friday. (oh joy).  Having thus assuaged my “bookie” conscience by buying from my independent bookstore first (because if they disappear I'll blame myself), I ordered the second volume, Demelza:  A Novel of Cornwall 1788-1790 from Barnes & Noble, which I should receive by Monday at a fairly nice savings and free shipping. 


If all goes as planned, when the series starts on Sunday, June 21, I’ll have consumed both volumes and be fully satiated, smugly able to sit back and judge the quality of the production, and fully anticipating the banquet of 10 more volumes to go!!  I’ll try not to burp.

14 comments:

  1. Oh good. Keep me posted about the quality of the adaptation. I watched the first few episodes and enjoyed them, but I actually didn't know they were based on books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny I will. Although I will hopefully get the first volume before the weekend, I couldn't wait and downloaded it to my Kindle as a free 30 day trial as a subscription member. Not a great fan of e-reading it's a port in a storm. Loving it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lost interest in the first PBS/BBC Poldark series; there's only so much brooding handsomeness I can take. But I was young--and a book does sound more tempting. Good luck with both versions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tinky, did you know Winston Graham wrote Marnie? I didn't. In fact, I'd never heard of him before. I can hardly believe it, although Graham himself said he was the most successful unknown novelist in England. He may have been right. Anyway, I'm more looking forward to the books than I am the series, although I'll surely be watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Poldark as a teenager (yes, back in the Dark Ages) and I loved it. I managed to miss the TV series, though, and can't decide whether it was a shame or not, as I still have my memories preserved. But by all accounts it really was fab. Hope your books arrive soon and you can welter in them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Litlove, I can't believe I have never heard of the series (book or film)...or the author. I'm a READER for gosh sakes! Who and what else is out there that I've missed? Happy to hear the books will not dissapoint.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Despite having an absolute passion for Cornwall I've not read Poldark either. Or seen either series on TV yet I've always been aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vintage, I just finished Ross Poldark and Demelza should be arriving in the mail today. I am not disappointed so far and am looking forward to the series. Hope it does the books justice. Very fast reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know if I should be embarassed to admit I've never heard of Poldark. But based on your recommendation I will look out for Winston Graham in the future. Hope the series lives up to the book(s)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pete, I finished Ross Poldark in a weekend. It was fantastic. I'll start the next of the series tonight. I think the BBC series is based on the first 2 books, so I should be ready. I had never heard of Winston Graham or the series either, but the Hitchcock movie Marnie was based on one of his books! And I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a good thing PBS isn't like Netflix and they don't release the whole series at once because it sounds like you are a good candidate for a binge watch! With the slow release, you are at least guaranteed some sun and human interaction between episodes :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stefanie, I know! I learned that lesson from House Of Cards. Started watching the first season one Sat because my eldest son insisted I must...lost an entire weekend before it was all said and done. Great writing...but wish I'd have spent the time in the company of people I really liked. Won't do that again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm very much in the dark when it comes to TV these days... if it's come out in the last four years, since the birth of my son, chances are good I haven't watched it! But, like you, I have no excuse for never having heard of Poldark or of Winston Graham. Thanks for bringing this to my attention - sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bigreading life, I'm now into the second book in the series, Demelza, and am absolutely loving this series so far. The PBS series covers only those two books (apparently) but I can see myself reading all of them. Hope you try the first one, at least. I think you'll be hooked. (I remember those early childhood rearing years! Not much time for anything else, but so rewarding).

    ReplyDelete